I decided to base my next project on a score app for Rugby Union football using the Court app for guidance. The app has two sets of score buttons, one for Team A and one for Team B. Each set of buttons consists of:
- + 7 for a Penalty Try
- + 5 for a Try
- + 3 for a drop kick
- + 3 for a penalty
- + 2 for a conversion (successful kick between posts following a try being scored.
This was an exercise about creating buttons as “onClick” events in the xml and then creating click handlers in the Java. Everything seemed to go well until I turned my phone into landscape mode – the scores disappeared. The solution, it turned out, was to create two static variables “SCORE_TEAM_A” and “SCORE_TEAM_B” the capitals to show that they were static when the user user interface refreshed, and to write two pieces of code – one to onSaveInstanceState to save the scores in those static variables and another to onRestoreInstanceState to show the scores in the refreshed page. It seemed to go well after I had got over that little problem so I submitted to the project and moved onto learning how to add other functionality. During the course all of the learners were linked by Udacity message boards with a general chat room and a chat room for each of the projects.
I will entertain you with the next instalment very soon. ‘Bye for now.